The Arizona economy is on its way back and the AZSBDC is doing its share to create new businesses and jobs in every area of the state. We’d like to share some good information provided by one of our key resource partners, the Arizona Commerce Authority:
Arizona is ranked as the number-one state for entrepreneurs. The 2012 Kauffman Index of Entrepreneurial Activity, published by the Kauffman Foundation, bases the 2011 startup rate for each state on a yearly national survey of about half a million people — adults aged 20 to 64 who start a business each month with 15 or more hours worked. In Arizona, Kauffman found that 520 of every 100,000 adults started businesses in 2011. Read the full Kauffman Index of Entrepreneurial Activity HERE.
The major employment sectors in Arizona include the established industries of aerospace, electronics, and semiconductor manufacturing. Emerging sectors include biosciences, future forest and sustainability (green) technologies. The AZSBDC’s Clean Tech Initiative is well-positioned to help Arizona entrepreneurs excel in these sectors.
Other recent rankings for the central Arizona region include:
- Phoenix as a Top Turnaround Town (CNN Money, 2012)
- Gilbert as “Safest City” (Business Insider, 2011)
- Phoenix “Most Sustainable Metro Area” (Site Selection, 2011)
- Phoenix as an “Aerospace and Defense Manufacturing City” (Business Facilities, 2011)
- Scottsdale as “Best Run City in America” (24/7 Wall Street, 2012)
- Chandler as “Best Run City in America” (24/7 Wall Street, 2012)
We are proud to be part of a statewide effort which leverages the services, resources and expertise of public and private partners to promote small business success in every sector and region.